Thursday, August 22, 2013

Salmon LunchBots Brainfood Bento

Second bento of the school year, and I fell back on another easy one. Salmon! I like to prepare salmon about once a week because I think it's good "brain food" for the kids, packed with healthy omega-3s and all. I usually pan fy the fish in butter or olive oil, and just after I turn off the heat, drizzle shoyu around the pan. I served TinySprite's helping over roasted garlic potatoes and kale chips (I didn't pack the kale chips because they get soggy overnight. If your kids don't mind, you can pack them in the bento too. They're very tasty!). She also gets a cabbage carrot daikon slaw with vinegar dressing and topped with halved cherry tomatoes. Her fruit treat includes green and purple grapes, and super sweet cantaloupe. This time we used the LunchBots Trio. I made this one myself, since the kids were at an afternoon activity until late, but it only took me a few minutes to do. Thank goodness it's a short week. I'm already ready for the weekend; how about you?

6 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I am very ready for the weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheri,
    just found your site while doing a search for lunch ideas for my son. Love your bento photos! So creative.

    Q for you-do you cook all of the food in the morning, cool it down and then pack it up for their lunch? This is the first time my son will be eating lunch at school.

    Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually pack lunch the night before, and have the kids take it to school from the fridge. The exception is if I am packing something hot, which I heat up in the morning and then pack in a thermal food jar to stay warm until lunchtime. If you choose, you may cook in the morning as you mentioned, just remember to cool completely before packing. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  3. I love seeing the bento lunches you pack for your kids! My daughter began kindergarten last week and requested that she pack her lunch, so we picked out her first bento box (a panda face) and we're excited to adopt bento as one of our family traditions. It looks like so much fun and I like knowing that my daughter's getting a really healthy lunch and snacks everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackie,
      Congratulations on starting your little one with bento! My girl has the panda box too and she loves it. I'm sure you'll have as much fun as we do planning and packing your bento throughout the year. Thanks so much!

      Delete