Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Gluten-Free Adventures: Lemon Coconut Bread

Remember my gluten-free banana bread? While that one still reigns as my biggest triumph in GF baking, this one isn't bad. I was looking for a quick sweet bread to make using the last of the Meyer lemons, and I came across this recipe in the book "125 Best Gluten-Free Recipes", by Donna Washburn and Heather Butt. I got the clafoutis recipe from this book as well, and even though they seem to tout a certain brand of GF flour mix (which I didn't buy and which I successfully substituted with my own mixture), I'm pretty happy with the way these two recipes came out. This one has a bright lemony flavor, and if you like coconut, there's a nice texture from the shredded coconut flakes as well. Although it's a short loaf, I found the density to be nice and moist, and the bread held together well (there is xanthan gum in this recipe). A nice bread, all around. If you like lemon and blueberries, you might want to check out the lemon blueberry bread I made here. It was delicious as well.

Lemon Coconut Bread (from 125 Best Gluten-Free Recipes, by Donna Washburn and Heather Butt)

1 cup brown rice flour
1/3 cup potato starch
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1 cup sugar
1 and 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1 T baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 T lemon zest
3/4 cup shredded coconut
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1/4 cup lemon juice

Glaze

1 cup confectioners sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice

Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Mix wet ingredients together in a medium bowl. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients. Spoon into greased loaf pan, let stand 30 minutes. Bake at 350F for 60 minutes. Poke holes in the hot loaf with a skewer as soon as it comes out. Spoon glaze over hot loaf. Let cool in pan 30 minutes before removing loaf, and remove to wire rack.

6 comments:

  1. Ah so delish, these flavors are chiming happily in my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just discovered your blog while doing a picture search. I was drawn in by the picture of your Pirate Monkey Sandwich Bento. Then when I saw your gluten-free recipes I knew I had to subscribe. I've been gluten-free for almost 1.5 years and am always looking for new recipes or something to spice up the foods I'm restricted to. I can't wait to try these out! Thanks for blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for finding me EzraMarie! I love to share ideas with other gluten-free folks. What I thought was going to be a tough restriction has turned out to be a challenge I'm trying to appreciate. It helps a lot to know that many, many others are in the same boat as us. Thanks for the encouraging words!!

      Delete
  3. Coconut!! Now this looks really delicious Sheri! I've never used Tapioca starch but I've seen it in Asian store. I can easily kill the whole bread if no one is watching me... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I've always wondered what people do with tapioca starch. Now I know you can use it in regular baking, but I bet if you use more, it comes out like mochi, with a chewy effect. Me too, I'll eat too much of sweet baked goods, which is why I can't make it too often...

      Delete