Monday, October 5, 2009

Romanesco!


Look what I found at the farmers market! I didn't think we had romanesco here, since previously I had only ever seen "broccoflower", but it turns out it is grown on several farms in coastal California. Broccoflower looks more like green cauliflower, and I have used it before in bento (as here), but the cool thing about romanesco is that "its shape could be described as fractal; each bud is composed of a series of smaller buds, all arranged in yet another logarithmic spiral." (Wikipedia) Wow!
Thus, it is infinitely cooler than broccoflower. And, it's incomparable in bento -- see my first use here :)
Sadly, its season is short, but I hope to see it again soon. If you see it, you may want to try it yourself ~ it tastes like cauliflower, but with perhaps a slightly nuttier or pepperier flavor :)

4 comments:

  1. That is a fascinating veggie. It resembles something oceanic but in a very beautiful way. What a beautiful addition to your already awesome designs.

    Hey, I like the LinkWithin concept. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am extremely jealous of your romanesco! I have never seen any in person before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a cool and beautiful veggie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies. It is very cool, like some kind of alien planet in miniature, or undersea coral (or something :).

    Yeah, hapa, try the LinkWithin, it's a nice feature!

    ReplyDelete